Monday, March 5, 2012

Adios Mexico City, Hola Pie de la Cuesta

Me, Jon and RussellMania after the Cuban night



I asked Jon to take my picture, he waits until I almost get hit by a wave!

Campsite in Pie de la Cuesta


Laguna




Shower gecko



Thursday
3-1-12
Today class was so frustrating.  It was absolute torture for me to sit there and I was fully in touch again with all of the passionate hate that I used to have for school.  Our Spanish professora is a twit.  She has attempted to teach the same lesson on grammar and sentence structure for all four days so far this week and she plans to keep on going with it on Friday as well.  I have tuned her out and am only participating in the class when I have a question, unrelated to what she is teaching, about real life Spanish language uses.  Other than that I ignore her and spend my time in class reading the Spanish/English dictionary and writing down words that I think are important.  I think that maybe she could spend ½ of one day teaching her grammar lesson, but after that lets move on.  There is no way that a Spanish student who is only there for 2 weeks should spend a whole week on any one subject, especially if it is a non-conversationally functional one.  Does she think that I’m going to try to write a book in Spanish?  No!  I just want to be able to order a taco from a street cart and know what I’m getting.  I’m pissed that she has wasted my time and money this week.  So, we are not going to class on Friday, our last day.  I will learn much more Spanish walking around the streets and markets of Mexico City talking to people. 

Alright, enough about that.  After that stupefying class I did a little yoga on the roof wearing only a flesh colored bathing suit.  This got a lot of hoots and hollers from the construction workers on the high rise next to me.  That was alright though because I was in the yoga zone, deep in conscious relaxation.  We then dropped off our laundry and got some tamales to eat in the park. 

Later on in the night Marcie, RussellMania and I walked across the street to Cubano El Rincon where there was no cover and 2 for 1 mojitos.  At first it seemed like a weird scene because the band was not on yet, so they had Cuban music playing really loud over the sound system while unrelated MTV Jams rap videos were projected in mute onto a large screen on the wall.  But as the night got going the band came on and the dance floor got packed.  Most of the dancers looked to be Cuban and had clearly done this before.  There were Rico Suave types with greased back black ponytails, purple silk shirts and skin tight black jeans twirling around any lady who was lucky enough to be their dance partner, and older Cuban Michael Douglas types with slicked back touch of grey do’s, wearing snappy suits.  We were the only white people there so at first Marcie was nervous about getting up to shake it on the dance floor but at the end of our night and five mojitos later she was the best dancer on the floor.  We had a great time, and danced all night until about 1am and then went home.  I have not been drinking alcohol since Lent started last Ash Wednesday.  I feel like I can be a better servant of my lord and savior Jesus Christ when I’m sober.  Just kidding.  Really I’m just doing it to get healthier and to party harder in the long run.  But when our table was covered with 2 for 1 tasty mojitos it was tempting.  However I did abstain and I drank only espresso and red bull.  When the waiter brought over the “cafĂ©” that I ordered I thought: Dang!  This is a small cup of coffee.  But then I tasted it and realized: Holy Mole!  This is a huge cup of espresso!  So I was wired. 



3/2/12
Last night after we got home and were lying in bed I heard a lot of gunfire out in the street.  At first I heard a couple of pops that sounded like 2 or 3 small firecrackers going off, but from living in the Tenderloin, SF, CA where people get shot up regularly in crack-head street violence and on John’s Island, SC where weekends sound like a semiautomatic weapon shooting spree, I knew the noises I heard weren't party favors.  A couple of minutes went by and then about 7 or 8 more pops followed by the sound of cars racing away real quick and a couple of seconds later police sirens.  I wanted to get up in look out the window but I was afraid to catch a stray bullet.  We were a little concerned because RussellMania had gone out to buy his single cigarette and hadn’t come back when we heard the gunshots.  Was he involved somehow in the gunfire?  This morning we found out that he too had heard the gunfire but wasn’t involved because he had been at the 24-hour gym at 2am pumping some iron after drinking 8 mojitos and 3 cervezas!?!?!

We decided to skip our pointless class today and instead we visited the local indoor market to buy all our groceries and supplies before we leave for Acapulco tomorrow.  We were able to get vegetables from the vegetable guy, fruit from the fruit guy, tortillas from the tortilla guy, meat from a butcher and cheese & butter from the creamery lady.  It was fun buying ingredients from a person who sells those specific items.  It’s the last day in our flat and that’s good because it’s a sinking ship of smelly kitchens & bathrooms and broken refrigerators.  Time to go, so we’re off to the beach and back to sleeping in the truck again for a bit.  I hope to swim with some Sea Turtles soon because I believe we are going to be in prime territory for that.  Hasta luego. 

Saturday –
We woke up early, got the truck out of the secure parking lot where it has been for the last two weeks, packed up our goods and hit the road.  It wasn’t so bad getting out of the city.  We were staying on one of the main north/south roads so all I had to do was follow it south and it lead to Mexican Highway 95D. 

The drive was about 4 hours through some desert mountains.  It was pretty desolate country so I started looking for a gas station when we had about a quarter tank left.  But there weren’t any for at least 100 miles and we were going to run out of gas so I pulled over and for the first time used the reserve 5 gallons we keep up on the roof rack.  We sat in Acapulco traffic for about an hour as we drove west along the south-facing coast to the campground we are staying at for the next two days. 

My first impressions of Acapulco were hot, touristy, crowed and lots of American chain businesses.  But from a distance it is very beautiful to see the golden sand beaches stretch around Acapulco Bay and the green island just off of the coast.  Where we are staying outside of town is quieter though still a little more crowded then I would like.  But there is so much beach here it is almost impossible not to have a large chunk of it to oneself. 

After we set up our camp, using the awning and the camp kitchen counter both for the first time, we went for a swim.  Everyone had been telling us that the ocean was dangerous here and they were right.  When I was in the water I could feel how powerful the current was when the waves pulled back.
~Jon

3/4/12
Today was a day spent lounging around our campsite.  We had a relaxed breakfast, swam in la mar, laid out on la playa, and rode our bikes around town.  It has been a very relaxing 2 days on the beach and tomorrow we go to Acapulco proper to try to get our AC in the truck fixed.  It is only blowing warm air so hopefully the Freon has just been depleted and all we have to do is get it charged but we could have punctured something on that damn road in Baja and maybe something might need replaced.  Hopefully it isn’t too expensive and we don’t have too much trouble communicating with the mechanics in Spanish.  We then plan to spend a few days and nights traveling down the coast and sleeping on the beach. 
~Marcie

No comments:

Post a Comment