Friday, January 13, 2012

Hocking Hills, OH

On Jan. 10th, 2012 we left the Ohio Valley, I tearfully told my Mother and Father good-bye, and we made our way to destinations sans familia.  We decided to take the ol' Route 7 down to Marietta and across to Hocking Hills State Park which is one of the most beautiful places in Ohio.  We were able to go for a nice hike around Old Man's Cave.  We had our lunch where Richard Rowe probably ate his lunch around 1797 and then hiked down to the falls passing the Sphinx Head and Devil's Bathtub.  The geology of Hocking Hills was created by the erosion of Black Sandstone which was deposited there over 300 million years ago...dang!  The forest ecology befits at climate that is much colder with trees such as hemlock and birch.  We also got some groceries for the next week or so at Marietta's local Kroger Store.  I was really tempted by the frozen buttered steak but I restrained myself.  Off to Kentucky!





         How could I have turned this down?

3 comments:

  1. Great Pictures. Looks like Jon is really getting some use out of his secret santa present. I wish I could say the same but my alka-seltzer ran out after one use. Thanks Gnarls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you could have and most likely did because I know you and Jon don't eat that "soybean" stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This place is pretty sweet. Although it's weird to be in such a prehistoric looking eco-system and still be able to hear traffic. I climbed an upside down tree here that had fallen from the top of a cliff and stuck head first into the bottom.

    ReplyDelete